Head Bioinformatics - Antwerp
QTC Recruitment is a reliable recruitment partner, specialising in search and selection of professionals in the life sciences industry. We provide tailored services all over Europe, offering a search proposal to find specialised candidates for demanding positions in a competitive labour market. Through decades of experience in life sciences recruitment, we have developed an extensive network of leading employers and specialists in Europe. Our goal is to make both clients and candidates happy with a new job opportunity or a matching specialist through our reliable, transparent, and personal way of doing business. QTC is all about making a difference for you on Quality, Time, and Cost.
As the head of the bioinformatics group you will lead and provide technical, scientific and strategic guidance for a team of talented scientists two locations. The group works on a broad range of bioinformatics and computational biology activities for the scientific community at this company, supporting both the drug discovery as well as the development setting.
You will contribute to a variety of bioinformatics projects. It is your task to set-up a vision of innovation that delivers value and solve challenging issues and meet business needs through the application of its high performance computing and data resources. With your team, you contribute to the more complex data analysis challenges within target and drug discovery projects. You will play a key role in implementing bioinformatics tools and methods supporting a wide range of activities, from research projects to proof-of-concept studies. In collaboration with the Information Systems (IS) team, these tools will be incorporated in a central IS framework.
- Lead the bioinformatics strategy in support of complex challenges in drug discovery (drug target identification and validation, disease pathway elucidation, biomarker identification)
- Lead, mentor and support a team of talented bioinformaticians and computational biologists
- Align with stakeholders across a variety of departments (in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, translational science, therapeutic areas, clinical development)
- Build further on the development and implementation of new algorithms, and supervise the interpretation of complex datasets
- Manage resources and priorities to ensure timely delivery of high quality results
- Stay up-to-date with new computing and knowledge management technologies, and utilise these technologies to impact on decision making.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or a related discipline
- 15+ years of relevant experience
- 5+ years of team leadership experience in mentoring and developing individuals
- Experience with a broad range of current bioinformatics, data science and computational biology tools, methods, and applications in support of drug discovery and development
- Experience working with diverse “omics” data and molecular data to drive both pre-clinical and clinical decisions is an advantage
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment with people with different professional backgrounds (biology, chemistry, molecular modelling, IS, IT);
- Strong analytical and problem-solving ability, aptitude and zeal to acquire new skills necessary for the job, and ready for a hands-on approach in a fast-paced biotech environment
- Excitement about change: It’s not always a comfortable position if you’re growing rapidly but it is important to move along, be flexible and triggered in a positive way about the challenges and opportunities that will come ahead.
- Think big: You will work together with a highly ambitions and entrepreneurial group of people that have set the goal to become the biggest Biotech in Europe. And have a big impact on people with life improving therapies.
- Excel in what your good at: Our people are our biggest strength. We work with professionals that excel in what they are good at, that think out of the box and are passionate
- An attractive job in an international, growing biotech company
- A competitive benefits package
In this position you will get the opportunity to:
- Further set-up the Bioinformatics group
- Have an impact on the organisation’s short-term and long-term success
- Improve outcomes for patients
- Take on increasing responsibilities
For more information you can contact Majsa Onderwater.